Windsor Then and
A Pictorial Series
of Windsor Views from the past and present
Area around The Old Court,
St Leonards Road
including the Magistrates
Court, Police Station and Fire Station. Opened 1907
A tinted postcard view of The Old
Court, Police Station and Fire Station dating from the early
The foundation stone for this building
was laid in 1905 by Sir William Shipley and in 1907 it opened
as Windsor's Magistrates Court, Police Station and Fire Station.
The building remains to this day very similar, although now used
as offices and, since 1981, by the Windsor Arts Centre and known
as The Old Court.
The fire station moved in 1966 to new buildings
a few hundred yards down St Marks Road to the right.
In this view The Life Guards are
seen departing for the Western Front on August 15th 1914, passing
The Police Station.
St Leonards Road looking north
in a postcard postmarked 1906 so probably photographed during
the construction of the Police Station to the left. The cobbles
of the Fire Station forecourt are just visible, bottom left.
To the right is the Post Office run by a Mrs Bressey. Middle
distance is the public house, The Merry Wives of Windsor.
(Photo kindly supplied by Ken Burman)
To contact us,