Some interesting remains
have been discovered on the Crown lands at Old Windsor where
our Saxon Kings had a palace and Edward the Confessor kept his
court. The discovery was made by workmen in some drainage works
on the farm of Mr Allen of Tyleshod, and consists of two tombs,
the chambers of each forming a cube of four feet. The remains
were found about two and a half feet below the surface of the
One tomb contained an elegant
glass bottle with an ornamental handle and some charred human
bones but no urn to contain them but the second tomb at about
18" from the first contained a handsome cinerary urn of
half baked clay about 14" in height. Within the urn was
a quantity of charred human bones almost as white as ivory; and
beside the urn were the fragments of a fine terra-cotta bottle.
Both tombs occupied positions due north, south, east and west.
The interiors were filled to a depth of 18" with a thick
deposit of clay. No inscription, ornament or any coins were found
in either tomb to denote its age; but the site where they were
found is thought to be a Roman byway, leading from "Ceasar's
Camp" on Bagshot Heath through Bracknell and Datchet. John
Horsley (c. 1685-1732), the British archaeologist, fixed the
Roman station, Pontes, near Old Windsor; but others prefer Staines,
Her Majesty Queen Victoria
has inspected these curious remains.
|Left: Tomb built of earthenware slabscontaining
an urn of earthenware, 13" highand 47" round. with
burnt huiman bones
||Centre:Tomb containing a green glass
bottle, 8" high with burnt bones.
||Right: Cinerary Urn of earthenware, half
full of burnt bones.
To contact us,