Saturday 27th April 2002
The car was built in 1907 and was originally used by the company's managing director Claude Johnston. The car won a Gold Medal in the 1907 Scottish Reliability Trials and almost immediately thereafter on the longer RAC reliability test where it covered 14,371 miles in five weeks with no mechanical failures.
It is stories such as this which gave rise to the Rolls Royce legend which lives on to this day, and is why this event in Windsor was such a spectacle.
Starting in the Home Park at 10.00am the assembled cars, some 500 of them, set off for the Castle. Roads were closed as the cars paraded through the town and into Windsor Castle where they were viewed by HM The Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh.
Afterwards the cars drove out of the Castle and down The Long Walk where cars, motorbikes and bicycles are not normally permitted. A selected 200 or so cars then entered the grounds of Frogmore while the rest travelled out to Smiths Lawn for a mass Rolls Royce and Bentley picnic!
We have included here a selection of photos of the event as it is a rare treat indeed for lovers of these spectacular examples of British engineering and style at its best!
A similar meet took place in 1977 on the occasion of the Queen's Silver Jubilee and on that day a Rolls-Royce Merlin engined Spitfire flew over the castle as the cars processed down the Long Walk. Sadly no such guest appearance was made on this occasion.
The event, organised by The Prince Philip Trust Fund in association with The Rolls Royce Enthusiasts Club and the Rotary Clubs of Windsor and Eton and Windsor St George, raised £52,000 for local good causes in Windsor. The money was presented to Prince Philip on behalf of the Trust at Legoland by Andrew Panter, chairman of the organising committee.
If the owners or any others 'in the know' can provide captions for the following pictures, it would be appreciated!
YE 2216 is of a 1926 Phantom 1 Sedanca
deVille by Barker. The car was first owned by Rolls-Royce and
was their demonstration car in the South of France from 1926
until 1930. The car was then modified and sold to Lord Howard
of Glossop in 1930 with whom it remained until 1937. It then
entered into the 'carriage' trade and was requisitioned at the
outbreak of World War II as a headquarters car for the London
With thanks to DCE
96 years earlier and cars park in the Long Walk duirng a Garden Party at Windsor Castle. 1908
Staying in Windsor?